IT Tech Byte Update - Fall 22 Welcome
On behalf of the UNM Information Technologies staff, welcome to the Fall 2022 semester!
UNM IT’s mission is to provide effective and efficient information technologies and services to advance UNM’s educational, research and service missions. To help you in your success this year, we wanted to share information about some key technology service improvements. *
- Canvas, UNM’s New Learning Management System launched in Summer 2022. For more details visit Canvas@UNM.
- Ongoing improvements have been made to the security safeguards for UNM systems. To help educate LoboMail users, The Information Security & Privacy Office periodically sends phishing emails to all students, faculty and staff. For more information, visit UNM.EDU.
- To report a suspected phish, select the “Report Message” button in LoboMail. For more information visit Report Phishing Email.
- To report junk (spam) mail, select the “Report Message” button in LoboMail. For more information visit Report Junk Email.
- By using the “Report Message” button, UNM students, faculty and staff help improve message screening and prevent further spread of phishing and junk messages.
- As part of its campuswide safety initiatives, The University of New Mexico encourages students, faculty, and staff to download the LoboGuardian App. This mobile app increases user safety by creating a virtual safety network of family and friends essentially turning one’s smartphone into a virtual blue light phone. In the event of an emergency, the LoboGuardian app also allows users to contact UNM PD with the touch of a button. Users can even send a tip or photo anonymously to the UNM Police Department in Albuquerque.
- Multifactor authentication, MFA, has been expanded to services such as myUNM, LoboWeb, UNM Online Directory and more. With Single-Sign-On enabled for many applications, the frequency with which you are required to log-on is minimized.
- LoboMail will be updated on August 30th to provide additional screening of links and attachments. Microsoft’s automated anti-spam and anti-phishing tools help prevent the spread of malicious emails. See FastInfo 7935 for more information and for examples of the Safe Links warning messages you might see.
- Using the web version of Outlook to schedule meetings? If so, you will notice that a Teams link is automatically added to your meeting. If that is not your preferred default, see FastInfo 7954 for how to adjust that setting.
- Again, welcome to the Fall 2022 semester! Additional information about computing services and resources for students, faculty, and staff can be found at UNM.EDU including how to Get Support.
* Due to the healthcare nature of the Health Sciences Center, there are variations in services and support for HSC students, faculty, and staff. If you have questions regarding HSC technology services, please contact the HSC Service Desk at 272-1694 or HSC-CIOemail@example.com.